Pish Tosh

Tuesday, May 3

It's not you. It's me.

Okay. You may have noticed that I don't use my name. I do this because I don't want to be found. Oh, I know when you publish something on the internets hypothetically ANYONE could eventually find it. But not using my name was a way of not making it ENTIRELY THE EASIEST THING IN THE WORLD for any old person I actually know to have immediate access.

It's a space putatively "safe," then, not just for admitting attitudes I wouldn't want a boss to know, but also for working at identities I wouldn't necessarily be able to pull off in the same room as say my mother.

Just to pick one.

Which means that when you TELL people, especially when you tell my mother, about reading things on my website, you are cavalierly just busting my tiny bubble of grace period, my sense of safety. Yes, it would be all fabulous if we all could be exactly the same "in real life" as in our writings. And if our mother and us had that kind of relationship where we'd type up all kinds of blog entries, say about sex or say about her, and e-mail them to her for approval before posting.

BUT WE DON'T. Instead we are private persons, and we don't wear our hearts on our sleeves, and we never, ever show anything we write to our mother. Or to most people we know, actually. We are pseudonymous, not so much for professional reasons, but for private ones.

Which is why when our mother calls and says, this-and-such said she read such-and-such on your website but I didn't know you have a website do you have a website? we say no. And when she says, do you have a blog? we say no. And when she says, do you? have a blog? we say no again.

We are pretty sure we all know this is a lie.

But if we wanted to acknowledge this privateish space to our mother, we would have done so. Since we haven't done so, we're not going to fess up, because this would be seen as a personal hand-lettered invitation from me to READ THE BLOG which would then lead to MORE PHONE CALLS when she reads something she doesn't like or which doesn't match her official version of who I am or how I think about things.

This is not a post about my mother, by the way. It's a post about the paradoxical privacy of a public space peopled by strangers, by no one who actually knows you or has expectations about how you're supposed to think.

And about how much less safe a blog space feels when this paradoxical-public-privacy has been punctured.

Also, if my cat could please stop walking across my pillow early in the morning stepping on my hair with those delicate little flower-paws holding up all that god damn bulk. It hurts, kitty. And it wakes me up grouchy.

Thank you.

6 Comments:

At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's funny - ianqui and Dr. H (making peace with myself) were just talking a lot about privacy and anonymity and so on. I really like the way you put it about the paradoxical public privacy - that's so true. Although it makes me think of how in high school I wanted to go away to private boarding school so I could reinvent myself - no one would know anything about me except what I revealed to them... Anyway. Makes sense to me. Of course, I'm the only member of my family who knows what a blog is, so it's easier for me.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Evie P. said...

I had no idea my mother knew what a blog was. Someone must have told her. I wanted to go to a new school, too... Thanks for the tip; I'll check out what the other bloggers have to say on the subject.

Nice to see you, New Kid.

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger bitchphd said...

Yeah. I don't get this thing. I never really understand why people get upset when they're linked in the blogosphere (though I understand the jittery feeling); I also don't understand when people think that an anonymous or pseudonymous blogger should be identified in ANY WAY to anyone, ever. Unless of course you already know that the other person knows. It's so weird.

Common sense people....

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Kyla said...

It reminds me a little bit of being queer actually, the unwritten rule that you never out people who aren't out until they give you permission. My mother actually reads my blog - I like being able to post stuff to all of my friends/family at the same time.

Easier than talking to them sometimes too.

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Evie P. said...

Interesting comparison. I guess it is a little like that: like being "outed" as the sarcastic potty mouth my mother likes to pretend she didn't raise.

I guess my blog feelings just reveal how my relationships with certain friends/family members are dishonest. If I feel like their presence "hinders" my honesty, it must mean that I lie about who I am to them.

My former therapist had this jazz about parent/child relationships eventually changing to something equal, but speculated that my mother and I didn't make that transition. Even if I was able to try to meet her as an adult, SHE isn't past the wanting to be the "mother," who comforts and is needed by a little girl.

It would explain why I'm like, I cannot tell my mother what I really think because she will think I'm "sassing" her.

And speaking of, isn't that line mothers use about "don't treat me like I'm just one of your friends" fundamentally flawed in about 500 ways?

Plus maybe it would explain why part of me continues to act like a whiny 15 year old, partic. where talking about my mother is concerned.

 
At 1:09 AM, Blogger Mel said...

erggh. thank goodness I'm 98% sure my mother has no idea what a blog is. after all, I got her hooked on ebay and so that's what she spends all her time doing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home