Pish Tosh

Friday, April 29

In which I nick "brain-on-stick"

As of oh, about eleven this morning, my exam proposal is done. It's pretty good, I think. Which is not to say people won't change things, but in terms of staking out turf, I think it does the trick. Also the writing is pretty good. And it's interesting to read.

I'm not as excited as I was tempted to be earlier, because there's this: another job to apply for. One I really want. And -- kicker -- I've had the application ready for more than week. I just haven't dropped it into the proper campus mailbox because I don't go to campus. I was waiting till I could also deliver the exam proposal. Saving energy. Fossil fuel.

When I set off to deliver both just before 1 p.m., I checked the job announcement.

Application was due today. But at NOON.

I wrote a humble e-mail requesting a save. We'll see.

About the prpopsal itself, though, I feel good. And here's the best part: I quoted Bitch. Ph.D. For, as I wrote, Dr. Bitch has provided us with
a formulation that economically figures the experience of three-dimensional people inhabiting one-dimensional categories.

Yes, that's right: brain-on-stick. I nicked it, with attribution of course, then used it as shorthand for articulating what I WASN'T interested in versus what I WAS.

I don't know. I also had a burrito and wrote an outline for a dissertation. Probably that'll change, hm, and will become hopeless unseeable and tough to hack my way through? Right now, it seems like it'd work.

Probably there's room in my project for more from bloggers. It's not about blogging. But it is about domestic experience and alternate communities.

So don't be surprised if you show up in my book a few years hence :)

1 Comments:

At 4:59 PM, Blogger bitchphd said...

I'm so proud of that. Not just the cite, but b/c, in fact, "brain-on-a-stick" is one of my catch phrases--just ask Mme. X. I was known for that in grad school. Probably it was my primary contribution to intellectual discourse, ever, that formulation.

Which, just barely, might make me traceable if someone tried REALLY REALLY hard. LOL.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home