Pish Tosh

Tuesday, April 12

The offspring of Corned Beef Hash and a beer stein

Okay. I'll play.

Favorite food to crunch: Raw broccoli. Thick salt-and-vinegar potato chips.
Favorite picnic lunch: Picnics are overrated. My college boyfriend and I, though, used to sneak onto the roof of our dorm and eat cheddar cheese (chunks hacked off with his Swiss Army knife) and drink red wine. Then the dorm burned down. No wait. My favorite picnic lunch is when CV's father had a heart attack and CV let himself into my apartment to use the phone, because his phone was down. Then we got co-op sandwiches and went to the beach, the little lake-beach. Then we came back to his place and cooked a delicious broccoli stir fry and ate it really late. Then we had sex and got back together, cause we'd been broken up.
Favorite food scene in movie: The only thing I can think of besides the obvious like Tampopo or Mostly Martha or Like Water for Choclate is Parker Posey always ordering a falafel and baba ghanoush from the cute street vendor, in Party Girl. Also, there's a Simpsons where Lisa is a vegetarian, and a South Park where Stan becomes a vegetarian and tries to save the veal calves, though disappointingly vegetarianism results in you breaking out in pussies all over your body. Can I possibly be remembering that right?
Favorite food lyrics: "Starfish and coffee/maple syrup and jam/butterscotch kraut, tangerine/a side order of ham. /If you set your mind free, baby, maybe you'll understand." (Prince, "Starfish and Coffee")
Best food smell memory: Will you take most vivid? Me. A visiting friend. New York City, 1996. Thanksgiving. (The one where the cute pothead skaterboys I lived with cooked turkey, including removing giblets and sewing up the back with black thread. While they cooked we listen to Tricky and drank gallons of cheap red wine, and when they were done we ate at a table which was a packing box covered with a bedsheet.) Friend and I had lunch at a vegetarian/hippy place near NYU. And the salad came with house dressing: a kind of yeast paste. It smelled exactly like come. I couldn't believe it: heady, rich, a little bit like sprouts and a little bit like feet. I kept looking around to see if anyone else noticed. IT SMELLED EXACTLY LIKE COME. Like come fresh released from a boy, and meanwhile my boyfriend was in Italy.
Food that reminds me of the ocean: Don't have a lot a associations with ocean. One time, for spring break we visited friends in Rhode Island. It was overcast and windy and freezing cold, and I was the only one who stood in the ocean, to my ankles. When we got back to their apartment, we cooked Potato Corn Chowder, which was a soup that required for its making an ACTUAL BAY LEAF. This was a culinary first, for me.
Favorite winter snack: Pretty much anything. Crunch-n-Munch? Peanuts? Whatever garbage I can find in the fridge?
Most likely to eat for lunch: Egg or fake sausage on a bagel. Avacado and butter on wheat bread. A steamed pinto-bean burrito from my favorite place downtown. Sushi from the co-op.
Least likely to eat for lunch: Doughnuts. (Obviously, those are for late-night snacking!) A hamburger.
Makes me gag: Lunchmeat. Movies about factory farms and egg production. When I think they accidentally gave me a chicken burrito.
Food tradition I hate: Meatloaf. "Meat and potatoes." Jell-o salad.
Saturday night food: Beer. Something oily or covered in cheese.
Favorite wild foods: In what sense?
Favorite food for sex play: Brunch. But I can say something about food most often used for sex, which is Strawberry Kiwi Fruitopia, which for some reason I used to drink mouthfuls of before going down on my boyfriend.
Favorite medicinal food: Weed.
Food that reflects my heritage: Cottage cheese, mixed with Miracle Whip and salt and pepper. Tuna salad with American cheese on an English Muffin. Turkey cheese hotdogs wrapped in a refrigerated tin of biscuits. Omelets with ham and cheese. Chocolate Jell-o pudding. Knadle. Dumplings. Beer.
Favorite raw food smell: Well, it's hard to top fresh basil and cilantro. But I most like fingers. Fingers which have been cooking, and so which smell like: garlic, onion, ginger, and hot pepper, in addition to basil or cilantro.

I would add:
First dinner you ate at a lover's house: "Passion pasta." It's just curly pasta, but with tomatoes and other chunks of stuff thrown in. This is what his dad made: we were in highschool. Also, French Silk Pie. (Delicious.) Also, The Pirates of Penzance. A bit of a detractor, that last one.

3 Comments:

At 5:05 PM, Blogger bitchphd said...

Brunch. Oh yes, that's a good sex food, all right.

 
At 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Truly the best thanksgiving feast ever.

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger Evie P. said...

Thanks, Carrie. You're not... THE Carrie, are you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home