Pish Tosh

Monday, April 18

I didn't get the job

"We hope you will apply later in your program, as you have a great deal to offer..."

I will not reapply.

I am tired of having my talents always at the disposal of any old institution that needs them, but at THEIR convenience: last minute, next year, anytime but now.

I do not want to coordinate composition.

All I want is a tiny modicum of stability, a source of income that does not demand all my time and is not designed to invoke all my anxieties by seeming to place an unreasonable amount of expectation on me, giving me an unreasonable amount of papers to grade/miles to drive for an unreasonably small wage.

I want the support that will allow me to reach "later in [my] program."

I would like to be able to know that I can work on my work, and also continue to pay the rent come summer and fall.

That is all.

Thank you.

2 Comments:

At 10:34 AM, Blogger Dean Dad said...

Condolences. The academic job market is a random travesty, masquerading as a system.

That said, coordinating composition isn't the worst of all things. Unlike adjuncting, administrative work actually puts you on a ladder. I didn't get a Ph.D. to go into administration, but I've found it easier, more fun, and more welcoming than teaching. Food for thought, anyway.

Whatever you do, don't take it personally. It really is random.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Evie P. said...

Thanks, dean dad. Chin up and all that: I guess what I most meant is I don't want to coordinate comp NOW. Time to put nose to grindstone and pedal to metal and GET the PhD. :)

I appreciate your reminder, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home