Pish Tosh

Monday, May 1

ABD*

'Nuff said.





*Okay, technically, I'm not sure if I become "ABD" after passing exams or after getting my dissertation proposal passed. I am one of the last students taking exams under the "old regime" in a department gearing up for the "new regime" in which people are supposed to be able to get through the program way faster. But anyhow, suffice it to say that while I did not necessarily knock academic socks off, I managed to pass my exams, which I have been working on for far too long, and thus I am ecstatic, mixed with some bemusement. Also, though it is but 1:21 p.m., I am pounding a beer. The PhD exams are a weird event. "Most" people pass, but yet it is dangerous to treat passing as a foregone conclusion as occasionally people DON'T... so I am relieved... it seems like an anticlimax, the passing, because I was quite sweaty during my exam, and felt nerves, and forgot my transitions in my thereby graceless opening statement.... but on the other hand, I got none of the intense skepticism I was expecting based on my slightly deranged written exam. I felt neither harrassed nor overly interrogated; if anything, I felt the questions were generous. My response: I occasionally rose to the occasion, but occasionally I floundered. Even my floundering was an anticlimax: I answered every question, even though in some cases I was not satisfied by my own answer.

I prefer an anticlimax to an occasion on which I cry, which is something that happened in an earlier meeting of me with my committee. Today, they asked a couple of useful questions, and offered one or two useful insights. I am neither fatigued nor intimidated.

Altogether, then, things are good.

Although my husband would like me please to re-shelve the approximately two-hundred books currently stacked in various elaborately contingent configurations around our living room.

5 Comments:

At 2:02 PM, Blogger New Kid on the Hallway said...

Hooray! Congrats!!

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger German said...

Hooray! Congrats!

Call me...

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger Alice said...

Congratulations!!! :)

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger effective nancy said...

Congratulations on passing, and good luck with the books. Believe me, I'm very sympathetic on that count. Thanks for having used some of your new leisure time to come my way.

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger bitchphd said...

Sorry to be a little late--I was out of town. However:

YAY YOU!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Now don't sit around forever psyching yourself out about the damn dissertation. Take a month or so of relaxation and then just start writing the fucking thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home