Pish Tosh

Friday, November 11

So *this* is why I'm trying to arrange for a PhD in food studies

A conversation with my vet last week:


Me: Wait. I have one more question. Do you think I should put him on a raw food diet?

Him: (Long pause.) The short answer is no. I know a lot of people who swear by it.

Me: He get Nutro, now. It does seem to have a lot of nutrients. Like cranberry extract.

Him: I think: this is the best that people with PHDs in NUTRITION come up with. These people know more about utrition than I would EVER WANT TO.

Me: (Suddenly remembering that I am supposedly writing an exam proposal ON FOOD AND NUTRITION, though since I'm an English major this is, shall we say, a tall order, having to be routed through citizenship and all). (Silence.)

Him: Some people are very in favor.


****

For kicks here's a conversation I had this morning with the neighborhood Alpha Cat, Buster.

Buster: rrrrrrrROW! MROW!

Me: My cat has cancer? So you aren't allowed to yell at him that way anymore, on his own porch at least.

Buster: rrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Me: Get on! Go on! You're a nice boy, but please do take it into the alley. Thank you.

1 Comments:

At 2:55 PM, Blogger Adrienne said...

I’m so sorry to hear about your cat. And I have to say that I support your decision. I would make the same choice if I were in your situation. Having seen my mother go through cancer treatments, I can't imagine going through that with a cat- for the same reason that others stated-cats don't understand the future. Your cat would just wonder why you were torturing her. I think my mother wondered that sometimes too… My cats are indoor-outdoor and I live in fear of them getting hit by a car or getting a hideous disease, but I feel that their quality of life is more important than longevity. I am thinking of you, and I hope you kitty has a good last month or so with you. As for putting your kitty to sleep, my vet suggested to me that at the point my kitty could no longer do the things that gave her pleasure-looking out the window at birds, lying in the sun, eating, being petted- I should consider making the decision. My vet actually said he would make a home visit so I would not need to drive her into the vet’s office! In my case by the time that happened she died within a few days.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home