Pish Tosh

Friday, December 17

Friday Culinary Links

Nice Sharp Knives and What To Do With Them Edition

Knives are on my wishlist, but I probably won't get any this year. Good knives are pricey. Currently I use an $11 knife I got an Amazon. For an $11 knife, it's the most amazing thing ever. (Actually, the $11 was the Gold Box price. Remember the Gold Box? I also got my Oxo Salad Spinner through the Gold Box.) It's an eight-inch Calphalon chef's knife, and you can see it in the (blurry) picture I posted here. (Not my most impressive cut job, though.)

It's a step up from the really sad knife I used before I moved in with CV and started teaching myself to cook. But it ain't a great knife, and it's also getting dull. So I am fantasizing.

*The New York Times dallies with different styles, including vintage.

*The LA Times staff guy favors Japanese knives.

*Then, you need to know the ins and outs of sharpening knives.

(The above links require registration. If you don't have an account try Bugmenot.)


What do I want?

This book says some flattering things about Global.

I like this one too.


I actually learned to dice onions by watching The Food Network, but you can learn here. (Also covers julienne and brunoise.)

V-Edge? Double-beveled Edge? Chisel Edge? Learn everything about giving knives custom cutting surfaces here. (And if anyone wants to sharpen my knife for me? I'll let you.)

Now: let the chiffonade commence!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home