Pish Tosh

Tuesday, August 16

Cake

In our refrigerator we have a big piece of leftover wedding cake. It rests on its cardboard dais -- a footprint far too large for our fridge, really -- and it is covered by a plastic dome that is the inverted bowl of my salad spinner. The cake looks okay, but the frosting no longer looks appetizing: the couple of flowers on it are kind of pitted and runny.

We have not touched the cake for the entire two weeks it's been in the refrigerator, which suggests we're unlikely to eat it (which is probably all the healthier a way for it to be). But I'm not sure I'm up to throwing it away.

The frosting is my favorite part... it was a white cake, with all these crazy colored flowers. Last week we had also in our refrigerator an additional container with already cut pieces of cake. My husband ATE ALL THE CAKE PARTS out of the frosting, leaving all these frosting husks. And yeah, I couldn't throw the frosting away, I'd loved it so much and hadn't even taken a picture of it,* so for a week or more we had a container in our refrigerator with all these sad little pieces of frosting, no cake.

So really there's no reason to keep the cake. If we ate all that sugar ourselves, we would probably die, and the cake is really in no condition to serve to friends.

Also, I have to take my laptop into the shop. It could be the logic board, the same problem that plagued the previous generation of iBooks. If so I will have to buy a new one with my credit card, or with Student Loan Money perhaps. My husband is astounded that such a major sort of problem would hurt my brand loyalty not a bit.



*Fortunately other people did.
cake

9 Comments:

At 12:14 PM, Blogger Somerville Hound and Kitty Care said...

that cake is/was insanely beautiful.

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger bitchphd said...

OOh! What a great-looking wedding cake!

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger YelloCello said...

Cute cake! So cheerful and modern and more creative than the usual wedding cake look. I can see why you have trouble parting with that icing.

 
At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not only beautiful, but delicious. Most wedding cakes are a big sugary disappointment, but not this one, oh, no.

Maybe you could use the fondant leavings to make a mosaic of the cake and photograph it, kinda like those portraits Claire did that that weenie Russell tried to take credit for.

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Lesley said...

Grooviest wedding cake I've ever seen. Did you know that in Britain people keep the top tier of their wedding cake for the first baby's christening? Wedding cakes usually have so much alcohol in them that they can keep for years!

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

When I read your description of the cake you had left, I had images of the cake in the original film "Great expectations" which was a little creepy!

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Somerville Hound and Kitty Care said...

I like the idea that the Britsh presume a wedding cake equals a christian baby :-) . In my scary surreal mind I pictured a condensed wedding ceremony in which the live baby was, in fact,
the top tier of the cake.

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Evie P. said...

Awesome. So I could have given my mom some of the CAKE to take the baby pressure off?


How do you delete spam? Let's see if I can figure it out.

 
At 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your bolg on ftd flowers
. When you have a sec check out my site on ftd flowers
.
ftd flowers

 

Post a Comment

<< Home