Pish Tosh

Sunday, December 5

Template Issues: Tips, O Blogosphere?

I know a fair amount about theoretical HTML. That is, I can discuss the political implications of using the internet as metaphor to revise conceptions of the individual and of society. I can talk convincingly about hypertext's role in reshaping narrative and authorship. About actual code, I know very little. I've taken a couple hour-long classes, but this blog is the first time I've ever tried, well, practical application.

I chose a template not associated, in my mind, with any blogs I already read. Blank slate.

But the design, while fairly clean and while incorporating a nice font, does have a bit of frippery I'd rather do without. I've sort of addressed the fancy bullet points built into my sidebar, managing to replace them with the current dots.

I don't, however, know how to get rid of the dots.

What about it, Blogger people? Do most of you modify the pre-existing templates? Warnings? Tips?

4 Comments:

At 9:14 PM, Blogger Rudbeckia Hirta said...

To make the dots go away, in the part of your template where it says:

#sidebar ul {
padding-left: 10px;
padding-top: 3px;
}

Insert the line: list-style:none;

so it would now look like:

#sidebar ul {
list-style:none;
padding-left: 10px;
padding-top: 3px;
}

That should do it for you.

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger New Kid on the Hallway said...

Good thing Becky wrote in! I was going to confess that it was my ignorance about modifying Blogger templates that led me to Typepad. I can do some modifying, but not enough to match what I'd like things to look like.

But as Becky points out, it's clearly possible.

Welcome to blogging, too.

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger anbruch said...

You can also "steal" alot of coding by showing the page source on some feature from a site you want to use. Here, here and here are some sites I've found useful in getting down the basics of html. Also don't be afraid to experiment with your template. Blogger has a nice preview feature where you can see the effects of your changes without changing its appearance to the world.

jwb

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Evie P. said...

Thank, everyone! Those comments are _very_ helpful. I'm also so pleased to get visitors -- I assumed I'd have to hang out here in a lonely fashion for weeks before I could lure anyone my way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home